“Non-Compliant” Patient, Amanda Goodwin, Turns Holistic Health Coach, Who Helps Others With Autoimmune Disease.
Amanda Goodwin’s Interview with Jaime A. Heidel from “I Told You I was Sick”
1. What is your earliest memory of health problems?
As an infant, I suffered from jaundice, colic, and allergies. When I was very young I remember passing out very easily. In my preteen and early teen years, I started experiencing severe stomach pains.
2. When did you first realize you were different from others?
I realized I was different from others around preschool and early elementary school. I always had this nagging feeling that everyone else felt better than I did. At an early age, I began to distrust doctors.
3. What autoimmune diseases have you been diagnosed with?
I have been diagnosed with Crohn’s (IBD) and Hashimoto’s (underactive thyroid). I suspect other conditions but have not been tested or diagnosed specifically.
4. How does living with autoimmune disease affect your daily life?
I have learned to accomplish my daily tasks according to how I feel and pace myself to preserve my energy for the next day. I’ve had to let go of my perfectionism.
5. Do you use prescriptions to treat your condition?
I do not take any prescription medications at this time. I control my diseases with diet, lifestyle, and supplements.
6. What natural protocols have worked best in treating your condition?
For the Crohn’s, I would say diet played a huge role. I started off following “The Maker’s Diet” and now follow the Autoimmune Paleo Diet. For my thyroid and adrenal fatigue, I would say the biggest help has been yoga and stress management.
7. What was the worst thing a doctor has ever said to you?
As I was having a fever of 103+ for 8 months, stomach pains, and severe diarrhea with blood…the doctor said,
“Stop thinking about it and it will go away.”
I felt as though she was implying it was “all in my head.” This made me feel helpless and alone…like she was not really listening to me.
I’ve also had doctors scold me for pursuing natural alternatives. I’ve been told what I’m doing is “Voodoo”, that “too many vitamins will make you toxic,” and that “You are a difficult/non-compliant patient”, etc. And my number one pet peeve, is when they tell me, (even now) “Diet has nothing to do with improving or worsening your condition.”
The longer it took to get a diagnosis from the Crohn’s (about 8 months), the more friends I lost. They did not understand why I could not spend time with them. I also think family viewed my autoimmune condition as something I would get over, like a cold or the flu.
They couldn’t grasp that I would be dealing with this all day, every day for the rest of my life.
It can be very isolating and lonely when you are in pain – at times I just wished it would end. When the doctors were not listening and I was getting worse and worse I seriously was afraid that I was going to die!
9. What is the one thing you would tell everyone with autoimmune disease to do or stop doing?
If you want to improve your health and treat autoimmune diseases, I would suggest revamping your diet by specifically removing sugar, gluten, and GMOs.
10. In your opinion, what are the causes of the rampant rise in autoimmune disease in the past thirty years?
- Our food supply & the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.)
- Chemicals, toxins, preservatives, colorings, etc.
- Stress – From doing too much, emotional and financial stress. Also, stress from chemical and food sensitivities.
- Prenatal health, pregnancy, vaginal birth, breastfeeding, and first foods must be taken very seriously (from a natural, holistic approach).
Explain the services you provide.
Thank you for this opportunity to inspire others on their wellness journey.
As a health coach, I work with those who have autoimmune conditions such as Crohn’s and Hashimoto’s. My passion is for helping others with chronic illnesses.
I love to watch you transform and get back to living your life!
By participating in my program, you can have better sleep, more energy, and less pain. Working together, we can prevent future complications from your disease. Would you like to thrive, not just survive? Contact me to set up a complimentary health consultation: 717-781-7098.
If you would like to learn more about Health Coaching and the Transforming Lives Program, visit my website: http://amandagoodwin.biz/about-bio/ While there, you will also learn more about my health journey and find links to follow me on my social media pages.
If you wish to obtain health tips, recipes, encouragement, and learn about upcoming workshops, sign up for my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/6XMQb
For more information on the original publishing visit: http://itoldyouiwassick.info/2015/04/15/amanda-goodwin-holistic-health-coach-autoimmune-disease/