15 Ideas for Better Sleep
If you’re having trouble getting enough sleep, you’re certainly not alone. It’s estimated that as many as 70 million Americans suffer from sleep deprivation!
Inadequate sleep can hinder your health and weight loss goals, so it’s definitely something to work on.
If you make ‘getting more sleep’ a priority, you may see some changes. It can take 2-3 weeks until something may start to work for you, so if after a day or 2 of trying one of these tips, don’t give up. It may just take some time for your body to adjust.
First, start with setting an intention of when you want to be in bed. For example, if you want 8 hours of sleep and you need to wake up at 6:00, plan to be ready for sleep by 10:00. This means you’ll want to start getting ready for bed by 9:30.
Try a couple of strategies at a time and note which ones seem helpful.
Here is a list of 15 things you can try to help improve your sleep:
- Eliminate/reduce caffeine and alcohol (these increase urination and can cause restless sleep)
2. Don’t consume chocolate (or caffeine) within 7-8 hours of bedtime
3. Turn off electronic devices 1-2 hours before bed
4. Finish dinner 3-4 hours before bedtime
5. Drink a calming tea like Chamomile in the evening
6. Sleep in a totally dark room (all sources of light off) or wear eye covers
7. Set your bedroom at a comfortable temperature
8. Exercise in the morning, afternoon or early evening (not late at night)
9. Take a soothing hot bath at night
10. Listen to soft music before bed to help wind down
11. Use relaxing breathing techniques or meditation
12. White noise at bedtime – a fountain or fan
13. Relax and read before bed
14. Yoga or Tai Chi or stretching at night to de-stress
15. Write down a list of things you want to get done tomorrow or put it on your calendar (dump your brain of details so you can relax).
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
Would you like support in making your health dreams come true? Let’s talk! Schedule an initial complimentary consultation with me today—or pass this offer on to someone you care about! 717-781-7098
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for general education purposes only and is not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease or medical conditions. Check with your health practitioner before making diet and lifestyle changes
Photo Credit: Wellness Stock Shop